McAllen, Texas, in the United States is served by the McAllen Public Library (MPL).
McAllen Public Library (MPL) has three locations to better serve the residents of McAllen and the Rio Grande Valley. Audiobooks on CD, DVDs, books, eBooks, eMagazines, music CDs, and print magazine and newspaper subscriptions are all part of the library system’s extensive collection. Anyone with a valid library card from the McAllen Public Library or any other library in the Hidalgo County Library System can borrow and place holds on materials.
Ask a Librarian, interlibrary loan, requests for obituaries, disabled patron services, study rooms, exam proctoring, and tours are just a few of the other services offered by MPL.
The eBranch of the McAllen Public Library opened in 2014. eBooks, audiobooks, the Newsstand, Research, eLearning, College & Career, and en Espaol are all part of the eBranch’s free digital offerings that require a valid MPL card.
Meetings of the Library Board are open to the public, and its recommendations to the City Commission on matters such as library management policy and capital improvement planning are taken very seriously.
The McAllen Study Club, which would later become the McAllen Public Library, established a small library at the McAllen Chamber of Commerce in 1932. The new library’s first librarian was a lady named Elinor Hambrick, and it was only open on Saturdays. The library moved to the First Baptist Church in 1934, and then to the Archer Park Bandstand basement the following year. After receiving municipal status in 1944, the library began raising money for a new building.
After deciding on a location near the intersection of Main Street and Fir Street, construction on the new structure begins in 1949. As a tribute to the citizens of McAllen who lost their lives during World War II, the McAllen Memorial Library opened to the public in May 1950. McAllen Memorial Library’s first librarian was Mrs. Ruth Abbott. In 1957, an auditorium, a youth room, and a periodical room were added to the building. In 1967, the library added a new wing that housed the circulation desk and a mezzanine on the second floor. The building’s north side received an entirely new second and third story in 1976.
Two additional library branches were built thanks to a half-cent sales tax that McAllen residents approved in May 1997 for economic development. Building of McAllen’s northern and southern branch libraries began in the late 1990s. Both the Lark Branch Library and the Palm View Branch Library first welcomed patrons in January of 2001.
The Metropolitan Public Library (MPL) marked its 75th anniversary in November 2007 and began making plans to construct a new building at the corner of Nolana Avenue and 23rd Street. The Old Main Library (McAllen Memorial Library) closed in November 2011 after 61 years of service. The New Main Library officially launched in December 2011.
McAllen Nature Center
Fix-A-Crack Windshield Repair & Replacement, LLC